Easy DIY Beeswax Candle

By The Petite Plantation - January 28, 2018



It was a Saturday afternoon when I called up my guy, and within 30 minutes, we met in a parking lot to make our shady deal out of the back of his pick up truck. {If you don't have a guy, you need a guy or dealer, shop local and support local!} It was $15 a brick and my goodness, I handed him my cash and he handed me two golden bricks, I swooned!

Local and organic beeswax! {What did you think I was talking about?} There are so many different things to make with beeswax, I use it in my Dandelion Lavender Salve each year, but these bricks, were bought for a candle among many other things!



I had never made candles before but I knew exactly what I wanted, a beautiful Ball beeswax candle! I really love the aesthetic of the Ball logo but because they are twice the cost of Bernardin, I save my thrifted Ball jars for my favourite projects, like little pieces of love sprinkled all around our house!

After waiting what seemed like weeks, days, I finally had everything I needed to make my own candle, including the beeswax. Any other kind of wax is only causing you harm, serious illnesses and polluting the air in your home, unlike beeswax which can help purify the air. And since we strive to be as chemical free as possible, this was super important to me!

I also opted to use a wooden wick because the common wick from the craft store, and found in most store bought candles, contain lead which can also cause serious health issues.

To make a make-do double boiler, I put a jar rim in a small pot and set my heat safe measuring cup on top and filled the pot with water. You'll want to add the jar rim so the glass isn't sitting directly on the bottom of the pot!


To make a Beeswax Candle, you'll need:

  • small pot
  • heat safe glass measuring bowl
  • jar rim
  • metal stirring tool (I used a metal chop stick!)
  • 1 3/4 cups of melted beeswax or 3/4 of a pound
  • wooden wick
  • essential oils (optional)

Hold the wooden wick until it stands up on it's own but be careful not to pour wax on your fingers!

To start, I chopped up my beeswax with a really sharp knife, cutting board, and a husband, into one inch cubes and placed it in my make-do 'double boiler'. I heated the beeswax between low medium and medium heat until it was melted.

Once it was melted, I took it off the heat. If you wanted to add essential oils to your candle this is the time but I recommend only using Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils because the other brands at the grocery store or supermarket contain fillers, additives and preservatives. If you want to get the good stuff, read more here. I added about 15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil but I feel like I could have added more.

To pour the melted wax into the beautiful Ball jar, I held the wooden wick with one hand and carefully poured with the other. I held the wick for a few minutes until I felt like it wasn't going to fall over. And that's it! The hardest part was waiting for the beeswax to melt in the double boiler.



I am not sure how long this candle will last in terms of burning time but generally, beeswax candles are long lasting and out burn any other wax.

I placed my candle in the hearth of our home, the mantle, which holds all four elements to connect to and honour nature.


Source:
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/candles.html

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments