Make Your Own SCOBY

By The Petite Plantation - February 12, 2017

My first taste of kombucha was magical. That bubbly sweet and sour tea had me hooked the moment it touched my taste buds. But for 6 Canadian dollars a bottle, I was torn, heart broken, and then, determined. To make it myself, that is!

If you know anything about me, you know I love a good DIY and that when it comes to food, I'd prefer to make it myself. And since we are on a journey to live a more self-sufficient lifestyle, making my own kombucha just makes sense!

What is SCOBY?


SCOBY is an acronym for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast. It's sort of a living bacterial colony on a gelly mushroom, if mushrooms were made from bacteria and NOT fungi, used to ferment sweet tea and create kombucha. It has a golden rubbery texture, it may or may not float, and increases in size with every batch of kombucha. If you want to make your own kombucha, you need a SCOBY. 

Where do I get a SCOBY?


Well, when I started my kombucha journey I quickly looked where I could buy one online, for about $20. I wanted to try to make my own so I opted out from buying one online.

Ask around! The world of kombucha has blown up and you probably know someone who makes their own. And since SCOBY multiplies with each batch of kombucha, they'll have extra to give away!

Lastly, you can make your own! For cheap!

How to make your own SCOBY!


You will need to find a bottle or Organic Raw Kombucha. Pour half the bottle into a large clean jar and drink the other half, Feed the bacteria and yeast already found in the kombucha 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir. Cover with a piece of cheesecloth using a rubber band to hold in place.


Your SCOBY will grow best in a warm undisturbed place. I kept mine in the corner kitchen cupboard. Once your SCOBY has grown on the surface and is over a centimeter thick, you are ready to make your kombucha!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments